Drupal is a great tool for building dynamic, scalable websites using community-created code and modules. But what happens when the community has yet to create a module with functionality needed for your site? You can create it yourself! Learn the basics of module development in Drupal 8/9 to remove the mystery behind how contributed modules work.
- Drupal 9 marks an important milestone in the evolution of the Drupal project. Say goodbye to complicated migrations! Upgrading to Drupal 9 is radically easier than any previous major version upgrade.
- Drupal 9 is currently scheduled to release on June 3rd, 2020. The Drupal community has been successfully releasing minor versions every six months since the adoption of semantic versioning in Drupal 8. Every minor version came with several valuable new features.
Drupal 9 Modules
Buzz around the Drupal 9 release is making everyone on Drupal 8 or 7 sites asking questions about what the upgrade means for them, and how to prepare. As a Drupal development company that has experienced every Drupal launch since versions 6, this ain't our first rodeo. We're here to help.
Drupal 9 Faqs What you need to know
Drupal 9 will be release June 3, 2020. But then what?
Alongside the Drupal 9 release on June 3, 2020, there will also be a minor Drupal 8 long-term support release. After that, Drupal 9 will be ready to download, setup and start building!Upgrade from an existing Drupal 8.9 site
Not a ton, tbh. But it's more about the long game.
Drupal 9 is not a huge leap forward in terms of features. However, what it does do is clean out a lot of legacy code and set a firmer foundation for future Drupal 9 features including layout, admin, and update enhancements.Improve Layout features
Nah, dawg. Unfortunately, there is no Drupal 7 to Drupal 9 upgrade.
Similar to the jump between Drupal 8 and 9, the code base has changed too dramatically for an upgrade from Drupal 7. But where there is crisis there is opportunity in the form of a fresh start and content migration.Full rebuild required
Drupal 9 will see a deprecation of a lot of Drupal 8 code that is no longer needed, improving efficiency.
As security updates for Drupal 8 begin to wane, getting on Drupal 9 will ensure your site is ready for future updates through 2021.
Core Media Update
If your Drupal 8 site is a little older, you may not be equipped with the latest and greatest responsive media functionality.
Coming in July, 2020, Drupal 9 will be a good choice for new sites assuming the following:
- You're building a fresh Drupal site (ex: coming from D7 or another CMS)
- You have a limited need for numerous contributed modules (aka using out of the box Drupal)
However, for some sites it might make sense to stick with Drupal 8 for a while if:
- You're already on Drupal 8 and your site uses a lot of contributed modules (they'll need some time to catch up)
- You anticipate needing a lot of modules immediately. Best to build on Drupal 8 then upgrade later
Drupal 9 Readiness — Is your D8 site primed?
While the upgrade path for Drupal 8 to Drupal 9 is smooth, it's not bulletproof. Heavily customized sites, or older Drupal 8 sites will need a little bit of love before being 100% ready to upgrade.
We recommend a Drupal 9 readiness tune-up that can help get sites ready that includes:
Drupal 9 Upgrade
Core media updates and next-gen responsive images
Compatibility scan to ID and fix code issues
Update to Drupal 9!
Drupal 9 Calendar
Drupal Experts Since Version 5
As Acquia Partners and Drupal developers with over 10+ years of experience with Drupal, we've been through all the major versions and Drupal 9 will be no different. If you're looking to get the most out of your Drupal investment, or get up to speed with the latest and great Drupal has to offer, we can help.